The purpose of this policy is to develop healthy learners through a school environment that promotes and protects students’ health, well-being and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity.
A. DAILY SCHOOL MEAL SERVICE
1. The school will provide healthy and safe school breakfast and lunch programs that comply with all federal, state, and local statues and regulations.
2. The school will accommodate the changing special nutrition needs of students and the cultural, ethnic, and religious diversity of our community.
3. Budget constraints will not take precedence over the nutritional needs of students.
4. Sufficient time will be allotted for breakfast and lunch periods to allow students to complete their meals.
5. Meals served through the National School Lunch and Breakfast program will:
• Offer a variety of fruits and vegetables, with an emphasis on including a variety of fruits and vegetables on the monthly menu.
• Serve primarily low fat (1%) and fat free milk.
• Offer lactose reduced milk when requested by student and/or parent/guardian.
• Work towards ensuring that at least half of served gains are whole grains.
• Exclude deep fried foods and strive to replace higher fat items with lower fat alternatives as appropriate.
• Be served in portion sizes that meet National School Lunch Program and Breakfast Program requirements.
• Meet current USDA nutrition requirements.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.